Fudgy, dense, rich and decadent. These brownies should still be considered a treat, but at least you are taking in some great nutrients instead of empty calories with traditional sweets! BONUS!
Do you ever get in one of those moods where you just need some chocolate? You know what I mean, rich & dense, fudgy & decadent…the kind of mood where you could probably eat half the batter before you even bake the brownies?
Uh huh. I know you’ve been there. If you’re a woman and you’ve ever had PMS I KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!
So what if I told you that you could have a brownie – even eat some of the batter and not end up with a mega dose of “cheaters remorse” afterward? Wouldn’t that be great?!?!
Here’s the answer my friends. It was a difficult recipe for me to test because I couldn’t stop eating the batter. I’m surprised I had enough to fill the pan! But guess what – this batter is loaded with nutrients. YES, I just told you this brownie batter is good for you!
Okay, so I know you’re going to look at the recipe and be like, “oh geez, another one of those dang bean brownie recipes – YUCK.” NO! These brownies are so decadent, so rich, so dense they are almost like fudge. And honestly, the batter is delicious. You’d never guess there were beans in there (even though I love beans). And since this batter is vegan you could safely eat it raw so feel free to add it to your favorite vegan ice cream, spread it on a sweet panini, whatever! YUM!
Now I have to tell you I was a little disappointed they didn’t taste more peanut-buttery, but no worries – I plan to develop a peanut butter swirl brownie soon. Maybe they’ll have beans. Maybe they won’t.
FUDGY PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Makes: 16 brownies
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 7 dates, soaked & drained
- ½ cup raw, organic agave
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons organic, refined coconut oil, liquified (divided)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted, natural crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees F. Spray a 8X8 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the beans, dates, agave and vanilla in a large food processor and process until smooth.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the liquified coconut oil, ground flax seeds, cacao powder, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Process until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and spread out.
- In a small bowl or mug combine the peanut butter and the remaining 1 tablespoon of liquified coconut oil. Microwave on low just until the peanut butter is pliable. Pour on top of the brownie batter. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of that.
- Using a butter knife mix the peanut butter/coconut oil/chocolate chips into the brownie batter. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. DO NOT OVER-BAKE!
- Cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.