These little energy balls provide the perfect amount of calories, protein and carbohydrates to fuel your workout without weighing you down. They are tasty without being overly sweet and if you use gluten-free oats they are safe for those with gluten sensitivities, allergies or Celiac’s disease.
Do you workout or run first thing in the morning? I mean super early – like 5 am-ish? If you’re like me you definitely don’t want to eat breakfast this early in the morning. Not only does it take time, but it could negatively impact your workout. Additionally, it would be a really long time before lunch rolls around. You’d be starving after your workout and you risk the chance of overeating throughout the day. Here’s your solution. The perfect little snack to help you power through your workout without adding too much of a caloric punch to pack on fat. Ick!
Just grab a little energy ball and go. It’s that easy! They’re not too sweet but dates give them just the right amount of sweetness to cut the bitterness of the millet while enhancing the nuttiness of it. The cacao adds richness (you know how I love my chocolate) and the puffed millet add texture and crunch. You will love these! And at only 82 calories per ball you can rest assured they won’t negate the effects of your hard work! Save the big breakfast for after your workout and your body will be so grateful!
CRISPY MILLET ENERGY BALLS
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Makes: 14 balls
- 14 pitted dates (75 grams), soaked in warm water (reserve liquid)
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ cup (64 grams) natural almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup (15 grams) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup puffed millet
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Soak the dates in warm water for at least 15 minutes. Reserve the soaking water.
- Combine all ingredients through coconut in a food processor and process until well combined adding the soaking liquid as needed (I used about 4 tablespoons).
- Combine the oats and millet in a medium bowl. Transfer date mixture to the bowl and mix together with clean, wet hands.
- Roll into 14 balls.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Workout in the afternoon? Is it going to be another hour or two until you get dinner? Pack one of these little energy balls in your gym bag for a quick snack after your workout. It will feed your muscles while keeping you satiated until dinner reducing the risk of overeating at dinner time. Perfect!