Craving something sweet? Want something delicious that will keep you full and energized until lunchtime? This is the perfect breakfast for you. It’s like a big bowl of yumminess for your brain and your body!
I think raw buckwheat porridge just might be my new favorite morning meal. It’s simple to prepare. Check out my post on how to prepare basic raw buckwheat porridge for this delicious raw breakfast. Once you have your basic buckwheat recipe made you can simply scoop out a serving and prepare it any which way you want. Today I was craving something with peanut butter and banana. Mmmmmmm…
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BUCKWHEAT
Buckwheat is a super healthy grain – or seed actually. Despite its name it is wheat and gluten free so it can be substituted in place of other grains for individuals with Celiac’s disease or gluten sensitivities. This micronutrient-packed food has shown beneficial effects on blood pressure, blood glucose levels and may have prebiotic-like qualities which promote a healthy ratio of good to bad gut bacteria.
Buckwheat is loaded with nutrients. Not only does it contain all eight essential amino acids, but it also contains a good amount of B vitamins, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, copper, fiber, protein, phytonutrients and antioxidants!
CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER BANANA RAW BUCKWHEAT PORRIDGE
Prep Time: 2 minutes Total Time: 2 minutes Serves: one
- One serving (182 grams) basic raw buckwheat porridge
- 20 grams natural peanut butter
- ½ large (about 60 grams) banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground flax meal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) mini chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life Brand (optional)
- Measure out one serving of porridge in a bowl. If your peanut butter is hard from being stored in the refrigerator soften it slightly in the microwave. Stir it into the porridge along with the mashed banana. If you didn’t add any vanilla or cinnamon to the basic buckwheat recipe you may want to add some now, otherwise it should be perfect as is. Yum!
- This breakfast is delicious on it’s own, but if you are in a crazy mood you can add the flax and chocolate for extra oomph.
This porridge is delicious with just the banana and peanut butter alone, but you know me – I just couldn’t resist adding a little bit of ground flaxseed and some mini chocolate chips on top, dairy-free of course.
Mmmm. Doesn’t it look delicious?!?! Don’t you wish you were eating this right now?!?! Go get some buckwheat groats (not kasha) and soak them tonight so you can have this for breakfast tomorrow. Yum!
- Whole grains 101: buckwheat health benefits. Whole Grains Council. An Oldways Program. http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/buckwheat-health-benefits. Accessed on August 13, 2014.
- Monarch M. Three reasons to eat buckwheat. Natural News. http://www.naturalnews.com/025769_wheat_food_buckwheat.html. Published on March 5, 2009. Accessed on August 13, 2014.