This is the kind of breakfast you dream about and can’t wait to get out of bed for. YUM! It’s like pumpkin pie in a bowl with chocolate mixed in. What could be better than that?!?!
Sometimes you just need something comforting in the morning. Something warm, gooey, chocolaty, just plain yummy! Not only is this breakfast deliciously satisfying, it is so packed full of fiber and other nutrients it is guaranteed to leave you full until lunch time. Yummmmm!
I love oat bran. It fills you up for hours. And you can make so many versions of it – just like oatmeal. In fact I often mix it with oatmeal. It cooks much the same way as rolled oats, so sometimes I’ll just combine half of each. Or sometimes I’ll add some oat bran in to my steel cut oats during the last five to ten minutes of cooking.
Anyway…this recipe has been a favorite of mine for years. Sometimes I skip the chocolate chips and just have a pumpkin-y, cinnamon-y oat bran. Sometimes I’ll add raw cacao powder. Any which way, it’s ALWAYS delicious. This is by far my favorite though. It reminds me of my gooey pumpkin blondies, my version of Chocolate Covered Katie‘s Pumpkin Pizookie, but in a breakfast bowl. Soooooooo delicious!
You’d be CRAZY not to try it. CRAZY! GO MAKE SOME NOW!!!
CHOCOLATE CHUNK PUMPKIN PORRIDGE
Prep Time: 2 minutes Cook Time: 7 minutes Total Time: 9 minutes Makes: one bowl
- 25 grams oat bran (Hodgson Mills brand recommended)
- 25 grams multi-grain hot cereal (Trader Joe’s brand recommended)
- 1½ tablespoons stevia in the raw (granulated stevia) or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla) + more as desired
- ½ cup filtered or purified water
- ¼ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- Dash of pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 15 grams dairy-free dark chocolate chunks (Enjoy Life brand recommended)
- Combine the oat bran, oats, stevia, cinnamon, almond milk and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the pumpkin and cook about one minute more until the pumpkin is heated through.
- Stir in the flax and remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chocolate and more almond milk if desired.